Sunday, March 1, 2009

Think Globally, Act Locally

I am starting this blog to have discussions on the topic of "Think Globally, Act Locally: Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle" which we began on our website funded by the U.S. EPA:  http://www.umuc.edu/gogreen/

We hope that you will share what you do locally to reduce, reuse, and recycle, and then we will post your information as part of our data base on sharing local resources, obtained by users around the world at http://www.umuc.edu/gogreen/local/  

Right now, we have an interactive map that users can click onto in order to view what is available in the counties across the U.S.  Of course, we still have a lot of information to gather, so we hope all of you will help by discussing with us what resources you use to help reduce your global footprint.  We hope to expand our map to a global one, so please post information from all over the world.  I will keep it in a file that will be compiled to come out with our global interactive map.

"If you wish to go quickly, go alone.  If you wish to go far, go together." 
-African proverb

5 comments:

  1. This is an excellent approach to gathering resources globally about reduce, reuse, and recycle options.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Deb. I hope the users of "Think Globally, Act Locally: Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle" will share their local resources with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi!

    I live in Ellicott City. Thanks for the resources for Howard County!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, My name is Sharmali Hansford and I was also at the EPA P3 Expo at the mall this weekend representing Kentucky State University. I enjoyed very much chatting with each of you.

    I had an interesting discussion with Dr. Sabrina Fu about mandatory recycling and mentioned that Pittsburgh, PA requires mandatory recycling. I wanted to pass along this link:
    http://www.city.pittsburgh.pa.us/pw/html/recycling.html

    The fine for not recycling depends upon the the size of the household or business and the number of offenses. It varies from $15-$5,000.

    You can find the penalties in this link:
    http://www.city.pittsburgh.pa.us/pw/assets/05_Ordinances_Chapter_619_entire.pdf

    I hope this helps. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sharm, thank you so much for those two links. I will write a summary about those links and provide those links through our local resources map! :-) Those changes will be made next month as I have a schedule for monthly updates

    You were great to talk to. I definitely will give your suggestions for future student projects for our "Pathways to the Three R's" website. I have not forgotten your great suggestion of how to lower our carbon footprint with pets! :-)

    It was great meeting you face-to-face, and thank you for sharing your resources. I hope this will encourage others to share their resources.
    And I get to learn more in the process! :-D

    ReplyDelete